Yan Ping Xin
Department of Educational Studies
Dr. Xin's research includes effective instructional strategies in mathematics problem solving with students with learning disabilities or problems, algebra readiness, computer-assisted differentiated instructional system, cross-culture curriculum comparison, and meta-analysis. Recently, she proposed Conceptual Model-based Problem Solving that emphasizes algebraic expression of mathematical relations in word problem solving.
Appointments on National/International Organizations
- National Science Foundation Panel (2010)
- Editorial Board
Exceptional Children, CEC
- Editorial Board
The Journal of Special Education
- Member of the National Advisory Committee for the Praxis Elementary Education test, Educational Testing Service (ETS), 2006-2008.
|Ph.D.||Lehigh University, 2003, Special Education|
|M.A. Ed.||Lehigh University, 1995, Special Education|
|M.A.||East China Normal University, 1987, Psychology|
|B.S.||East China Normal University, 1984, Psychology|
- Xin, Y. P. & Zhang, D. (2009). Exploring a conceptual model-based approach to teaching situated word problems.
The Journal of Educational Research, 102(6), 427-441.
- Xin, Y. P. (2008). The effect of schema-based instruction in solving word problems: An emphasis on pre-algebraic conceptualization of multiplicative relations.
Journal for Research in Mathematics Education. 39, 526-551.
- Xin, Y. P., Wiles, B., & Lin, Y. (2008). Teaching conceptual model-based word-problem story grammar to enhance mathematics problem solving.
The Journal of Special Education, 42, 163-178.
- Xin, Y. P. (2007). Word-Problem-Solving Tasks Presented in Textbooks and Their Relation to Student Performance: A Cross-Curriculum Comparison Case Study.
The Journal of Educational Research, 100, 347-359.
- Xin, Y. P. & Jitendra, A. (2007). Multiplication and division: In Jitendra, A. (Ed.)
Solving math word problems: Teaching students with learning disabilities using schema-based instruction (pp 169-282). PRO-ED, Inc.
- Xin, Y. P. & Jitendra, A. (2006). Teaching Problem solving skills to middle school students with learning difficulties: Schema-based strategy instruction. In M. Montague & Jitendra (Eds.).
Middle School Students with Mathematics Difficulties (pp. 51-71). New York: Guilford Publications, Inc.
- Xin, Y. P., Jitendra, A, & Deatline-Buchman, A. (2005). The Effects of Mathematical Word Problem-solving Instruction on Middle School Students with Learning Problems.
The Journal of Special Education, 39, 181-192.
- Xin, Y. P., Grasso, E., DiPipi-Hoy, C., & Jitendra, A. (2005). Effects of Purchasing Skill Instruction for Individuals with Developmental Disabilities: A Meta-Analysis.
Exceptional Children, 71, 379-400.
- Xin, Y. P. & Jitendra, A. K. (1999). The effects of instruction in solving mathematical word problems for students with learning problems: A meta-analysis.
The Journal of Special Education, 32(4), 40-78.
Recent External Grants Received
|2002- 2008||Assistant Professor
College of Education, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN
|EDPS 361||Use Assessment Techniques in Special Education|
|EDPS 362||Organization and Management of Instructional Behaviors and Environments|
|EDPS 563||Identification, Evaluation, and Assessment of Exceptional Individuals|
|EDPS 565||Intervention Strategies and Research|
|EDPS 588||Single Subject Research Design|
|EDPS 664||Research Seminar in Special Education|