Yan Ping Xin
Department of Educational Studies
Dr. Xin's research includes effective instructional strategies in mathematics problem solving with students with learning disabilities or problems, algebra readiness, computer-assisted differentiated instructional system, cross-culture curriculum comparison, and meta-analysis. Recently, she proposed Conceptual Model-based Problem Solving that emphasizes algebraic expression of mathematical relations in word problem solving.
Appointments on National/International Organizations
- Consulting Editor
The Journal of Special Education (2010 - president)
- Editorial Board
Exceptional Children, CEC (2005 - 2010)
- Invited Reviewer: Handbook of Research on Teaching and Learning of Mathematics
by National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM, 2014)
- National Science Foundation Panel (2010)
- Member of the National Advisory Committee for the Praxis Elementary Education test, Educational Testing Service (ETS), 2006-2008.
|Ph.D.||Lehigh University, 2003, Special Education|
|M.A. Ed.||Lehigh University, 1995, Special Education|
|M.A.||East China Normal University, 1987, Psychology|
|B.S.||East China Normal University, 1984, Psychology|
Xin, Y. P., Liu, J., Jones, S., Tzur, R., SI, L. (accepted). A Preliminary Discourse Analysis of Constructivist-Oriented Math Instruction for A Student with Learning Disabilities. The Journal of Educational Research.
Hord, C. & Xin, Y. P. (2014). Teaching Area and Volume to Students With Mild Intellectual Disability. The Journal of Special Education, online first, April 9. DOI: 10.1177/0022466914527826
Xin, Y. P. & Hord, C. (2013). Conceptual model based teaching to facilitate geometry learning of students who struggle in mathematics. Journal of Scholastic Inquiry: Education, 1(1), 147-160.
Hord, C. & Xin, Y. P. (2013). Intervention Research for Helping Elementary School Students with Math Learning Difficulties Understand and Solve Word Problems: 1996-2010. Learning Disabilities: A Multidisciplinary Journal, 19(1), 3-17.
Zhang, D, Xin, Y. P., & Si, L. (2013). Transition from Intuitive to Advanced Strategies in Multiplicative Reasoning for Students with Math Difficulties. The Journal of Special Education, 47(1), 50-64.
Xin, Y. P. (2012). Conceptual model-based problem solving: Teach students with learning difficulties to solve math problems. The Netherlands: Sense Publishers.
Xin, Y. P., Si, L., Hord, C., Zhang, D., Cetintas, S., & Park. J. Y. (2012). The effects of computer-assisted instruction in teaching Conceptual Model-Based problem solving. Learning Disabilities: A Multidisciplinary Journal, Vol. 18(2), pp. 71-85.
Zhang, D. & Xin, Y. P. (2012). A follow-up meta-analysis of word problem solving interventions for students with learning problems. The Journal of Educational Research, 105 (5), 303-318
Xin, Y. P., Liu, J., & Zheng, X., (2011). A Cross-Cultural Lesson Comparison on Teaching the Connection between Multiplication and Division. School Science and Mathematics, 111(7), 354-367.
Xin, Y. P., Zhang, D., Park, J. Y., Tom, K., Whipple, A., & Si, L. (2011). A Comparison of Two Mathematics Problem-Solving Strategies: Facilitate Algebra-Readiness. The Journal of Educational Research, 104, 381-395.
- Xin, Y. P. & Zhang, D. (2009). Exploring a conceptual model-based approach to teaching situated word problems. The Journal of Educational Research, 102(6), 427-441.
- Xin, Y. P. (2008). The effect of schema-based instruction in solving word problems: An emphasis on pre-algebraic conceptualization of multiplicative relations. Journal for Research in Mathematics Education. 39, 526-551.
- Xin, Y. P., Wiles, B., & Lin, Y. (2008). Teaching conceptual model-based word-problem story grammar to enhance mathematics problem solving. The Journal of Special Education, 42, 163-178.
- Xin, Y. P. (2007). Word-Problem-Solving Tasks Presented in Textbooks and Their Relation to Student Performance: A Cross-Curriculum Comparison Case Study. The Journal of Educational Research, 100, 347-359.
Xin, Y. P., Grasso, E., DiPipi-Hoy, C., & Jitendra, A. (2005). Effects of Purchasing Skill Instruction for Individuals with Developmental Disabilities: A Meta-Analysis. Exceptional Children, 71, 379-400.
Xin, Y. P., Jitendra, A, & Deatline-Buchman, A. (2005). Effects of mathematical word problem-solving instruction on middle school students with learning problems. The Journal of Special Education, 39, 181-192.
- Xin, Y. P. & Jitendra, A. K. (1999). The effects of instruction in solving mathematical word problems for students with learning problems: A meta-analysis. The Journal of Special Education, 32(4), 40-78.
Recent External Grants Received
Xin Y. P., Tzur, R., & Si, L. (2008-2013). Nurturing Multiplicative Reasoning in Students with Learning Disabilities in a Computerized Conceptual-Modeling Environment. National Science Foundation (NSF), $3,063,271 ($2,969,894 sponsor cost; $93,377 cost share)
|2002- 2008||Assistant Professor
College of Education, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN
||Use Assessment Techniques in Special Education|
||Organization and Management of Instructional Behaviors and Environments|
|EDPS 56300||Identification, Evaluation, and Assessment of Exceptional Individuals|
|EDPS 56500||Intervention Strategies and Research|
|EDPS 58800||Single Subject Research Design|
|EDPS 66400||Research Seminar in Special Education|