Gifted, Creative, and Talented Studies
Associate Dean, College of Education
Dr. Moon's research interests include secondary gifted education, social and emotional development of gifted students, and talent development in the STEM discliplines.
Appointments on National/International Organizations
- Association Editor
National Association for Gifted Children, 2010-2012
- Board of Directors
National Association for Gifted Children, 2002-2005
||Purdue University, 1991, Educational Psychology and Research
||Purdue University, 1985, Educational Psychology and Gifted Education
||Middlebury College, 1971, Fine Arts and Elementary Education
- Moon, S.M. (2012). Personal talent development revisited. In R.F. Subotnik, A. Robinson, C. M. Callahan, & E. J. Gubbins (Eds.), Malleable minds: Translating insights from psychology and neuroscience to gifted education (pp. 165-176). Storrs, CT: National Research Center on the Gifted and Talented.
- Jeon, K., Moon, S.M., & French, B. (2011). Differential effects of divergent thinking, domain knowledge, and interest on creative performance in art and math. Creativity Research Journal, 23(1).
- Steenbergen-Hu, S., & Moon, S. M. (2011). The effects of acceleration on high-ability learners: A meta-analysis.” Gifted Child Quarterly, 55 (1), 39-53.
- Bangel, N., J., Moon, S. M., & Capobianco, B. M. (2010). Preservice teachers' perceptions and experiences in a gifted education training model. Gifted Child Quarterly, 54 (3), 209-221.
- Moon, S. M. (2009). The Purdue Three-Stage Model. In B. Kerr. (Ed.), Encyclopedia of giftedness, creativity, and talent. Sage Publications.
- Moon, S. M. (2009). Myth 15: Gifted students don't face problems and challenges. Invited contribution to the special ?Myths? issue, Gifted Child Quarterly. 53 (4), 274-276.
- Moon, S. M. (2009). Theories to guide affective curriculum. In J. Van Tassel-Basks, T. Cross, & R. Olenchak (Eds.), Social-emotional curriculum with gifted and talented students (pp. 11-39). Waco, TX: Prufrock Press.
- Moon, S. M., Kolloff, P., Robinson, A., Dixon, F., & Feldhusen, J. F. (2009). The Purdue Three-Stage Model. In J. S. Renzulli, J. E. Gubbins, K. S. McMillen, R. D. Eckert, & C. A. Little (Eds.), Systems & Models for Developing Programs for the Gifted and Talented, 2nd ed. (pp.289-321). Creative Learning Press.
- Chamberlin, S. A., & Moon, S. M. (2008). How does the problem based learning approach compare to the model eliciting activity approach in mathematics instruction? International Journal of Mathematics Teaching and Learning. Retrieved November 30, 2008 from http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/journal/default.html
- Moon, S.M. (2008). Personal talent. In J.A. Plucker & C.M. Callahan (Eds.), Critical issues and practices in gifted education: What the research says (pp. 493-511). Waco, TX: Prufrock Press.
- Moon, S. M. (2008). Personal and social development. In K.A. Karnes & K.R. Stephens (Eds.). Achieving excellence: Educating the gifted and talented (pp. 82-98). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson/Merrill Printice Hall.
- Moon, S.M. (2007). Counseling issues and research. In S. Mendaglio & J. Peterson (Eds.). Counseling the gifted (pp. 7-32). Waco, TX: Prufrock Press.
- Bangel, N.J., Enersen, D., Capobianco, B., & Moon, S.M. (2006). Professional development of preservice teachers: Teaching in the Super Saturday program. Journal for the Education of the Gifted, 29(3), 339-361.
- Dixon, F.A. & Moon, S.M. (Eds.) (2006). The handbook of secondary gifted education. Waco, TX: Prufrock Press.
- Jin, S., & Moon, S.M. (2006). A study of well-being and school satisfaction among academically talented students attending a science high school in Korea. Gifted Child Quarterly, 50, 169-184.
- Yoo, J.E., & Moon, S.M. (2006). Counseling needs of gifted students: An analysis of intake forms at a university-based counseling center. Gifted Child Quarterly, 50, 52-61.
- Chamberlin, S. & Moon, S.M. (2005). Model eliciting activities as a tool to develop and identify creatively gifted mathematicians. Journal of Secondary Gifted Education, 17, (37-47).
||Associate Dean for Learning and Engagement, College of Education, Purdue University
||Professor, Department of Educational Studies, Purdue University
||Director, Gifted Education Resource Institute (GERI), College of Education, Purdue University
||Associate Professor, Department of Educational Studies, Purdue University
||Courtesy Appointment, Department of Child Development and Family Studies, Purdue University
||Assistant Professor, Department of Educational Studies, Purdue University
||Post Doctoral Fellow, Department of Child Development and Family Studies, Purdue University
||Research Associate, Department of Child Development and Family Studies, Purdue University
||Coordinator of Gifted Education, Tippecanoe Schools, Lafayette, IN
||Resource Teacher, Tippecanoe Schools, Lafayette, IN
||Title and Sponsor
||STEM Goes Rural, Woodrow Wilson Foundation
||Diversity Initiative for Gifted Students, Davidson Foundation, Tobias Foundation, Shell Oil, Lilly Labs
||Shared Information Services, Indiana Department of Education
||Affect Regulation Scales for Gifted Adolescents, American Psychological Association
||Gifted Education Services, Indiana Department of Education